Director of Podcasting
Public Broadcasting Atlanta is looking for a director of podcasting to lead a new effort to create the go-to source for podcasts from, for, and about Atlanta. The director will oversee the new WABE Podcast Studio and will be responsible for the production of both WABE-branded podcasts and for offering production assistance to select content partners such as arts organizations, other nonprofit journalism entities and grassroots citizen and groups with ideas for great Atlanta podcasts. The role requires demonstrated content/editorial expertise combined with some business management experience to operate the podcast studio and manage both partner relationships and those within the greater Public Broadcasting Atlanta organization.
The program director reports to the chief content officer for Public Broadcasting Atlanta.
- Serve as editorial leader for all podcasts created by the studio, working with the chief content officer to set the overall content strategy.
- Work with the chief content officer to create editorial standards around podcasts, recognizing that our podcasts reflect both news-driven and non-news, narrative, productions.
- Set up processes to explore and develop new podcasts that ensures a steady and regular flow of new podcast opportunities.
- Develop and cultivate new and diverse audiences through podcast programming that focuses on and addresses the needs of these audiences.
- Foster community connections to explore grassroots ideas that truly reflect the diversity of Atlanta.
- Develop a staffing plan for producers and talent, both staff and contract, to efficiently produce podcasts within the constraints of a non-profit organization.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff; provide work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, and on-going feedback.
- Work across the organization to develop brand extensions for all podcast that serve audiences on PBA’s radio, TV, and digital channels.
- Work with the PBA marketing team to schedule promotional inventory and cross-promote podcasts within the studio.
- Work with chief content officer to develop budget for podcast department; manages budget.
- Work with Underwriting department to optimize revenue opportunities around podcasts.
- B.A. degree in journalism, broadcast, mass communications or comparable media curriculum, or equivalent experience
- Eight to 10 years of related media work experience; at least three to five years of podcast management and development experience preferred.
- Successful administrative, management and strategic planning experience.
Abilities and Traits:
- Creative thinker with a passion for audio production and storytelling.
- Strong journalistic judgment and integrity.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Deep understanding of the digital media landscape, what drives podcast listening and trends in audio storytelling.
- Proven track record of meeting financial goals and key business objectives.
- Experience leading and managing production teams, including the day-to-day operations of multiple shows/podcasts.
- Experience producing content on multiple platforms ranging from podcasts to radio to digital.
- Experience developing, launching, and building new programs, especially in the podcast and non-radio spaces.
- Demonstrated willingness to undertake audience-focused reviews and revisions of content produced.
- Committed to creating content for and with underserved communities.
- Distinguished track record in program production including developing producers, on-air talent, and external partnerships in arts, culture, entertainment and/or journalism.
- Strong people manager with experience supporting talent and developing leaders; ability to teach, inspire and lead.
- Creative problem-solver.
- A strong team orientation and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels with clients, agencies, staff, senior management peers and industry colleagues.
- Excellent organizational skills to work and represent a podcast unit in a multi-platform operation
- Willingness to work in a collegial and respectful manner to enhance a team-based atmosphere, utilizing effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Works calmly under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to lead with confidence and decisiveness.
- Able and willing to work varied hours as needed.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Will require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 25 lbs.), filing documents, climbing, storing equipment, and working around high voltage equipment. Proper lifting techniques required. Working in spaces/rooms with various temperatures and lighting, confined spaces, and broadcast equipment as found in a typical technical broadcast environment in addition to working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and temperatures.
Submit resume and cover letter to: Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
Email: email@example.com EOE
To apply for this job please visit wabe.org.