WABE is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative,
Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, WABE is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WABE TV, WABE.org and numerous
podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and
opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology (CTO) serves as principal technology leader of a broad-based public
media organization that delivers television, radio, online, and digital content. Directs the
strategic design, acquisition, management, and implementation of an enterprise-wide
technology infrastructure. The role suited for an entrepreneurial individual who will provide
strategic and tactical leadership for media and information technology, broadcast and
digital distribution, engineering, facilities and infrastructure services. Will oversee the
development and management of digital products for WABE, including web sites, mobile
applications and other emerging platforms. Reporting to the President& CEO, the CTO is a
key member of the senior leadership team, championing the public service mission and
developing a vision to use technology to enable to grow and fulfill that mission. The role will
be required to be on top of the leading media technologies and has a firm understanding of the range of technology needed-from broadcast to online-to support a successful non-
profit media organization. The CTO is responsible for the strategy, planning, management
and overall supervision of IT & Enterprise Systems, Media Engineering, and Systems
Engineering & Integration. The CTO ensures the highest possible technical quality of content
including on air, programs, streams, apps and other services. The CTO also ensures that all
technology operations-from transmitters to IT-are strategically and operationally aligned
and is responsible for ensuring that all systems and data are secured to the highest
The Chief Technology of WABE is responsible for all the technology related matters in the
company like formulating technology visions and incorporating them in the technological
developments. The role will spearhead day to day product development initiatives for
WABE. This includes engaging deeply and regularly with our audiences, surfacing and
developing requirements from and with all key internal stakeholders, facilitating
development sprint planning, designing and implementing streamlined processes and
automations, acting as POC with third-party vendors, and helping to grow the digital
product team. The position will be responsible for identifying, testing, documenting,
deploying, measuring, and monetizing new products, features, and emerging media
experiences. This person will ensure that all projects are aligned with the corporate strategic
goals and will work to build cross-functional consensus around prioritization and scope of all
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to-
• Serve as a member of the leadership team, working collaboratively with other
• Develop a broadcast plan and maintain technology standards for TV broadcast,
radio, IT infrastructure, web platforms, and digital streaming.
• Direct the activities necessary to keep the technology infrastructure running
seamlessly, efficiently, and effectively while ensuring compliance with established
standards and policies.
• Set standards for the technological development in the company and leads staff
towards its fulfillment.
• Guide and support the staff of the company in all technological functions of the
• Develop technological workflows in collaboration with department heads to ensure
efficient, high quality, and cost-effective outcomes for broadcast and digital audio,
video, and streaming.
• Interact with the other departments of the company and ensure that all the
infrastructure related to software and hardware are in good working condition.
• Works on annual Engineering, Technology, and Departmental Operations budget.
• Develop and manage yearly capital expenditures budget.
• Assists with grant proposals for needed equipment and manages grants within
• Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff
and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
Digital Product Development
• Combines the organizational skills of project management with a product
manager’s talent for understanding how people engage digitally with content in
• Understands the power of good process and able to build communication structure
and strong cross-functional creative collaboration.
• Great at seeing both the big picture and at building the process to achieving it
• Maintain high-level product roadmaps for key digital products.
• Manage requirements gathering and prioritization around various products
• Collaborate with software engineering and audience data and analytics to
maximize resources and produce measurable results.
• Foster a creative and productive work environment.
• Validate internal and external product releases.
• Articulate features and requirements for the design and development team, and
document those requirements for WABE senior leadership.
• Document goals and KPIs prior to all releases and launched initiatives
• Develop a deep knowledge of WABE’s existing suite of products for the web and
mobile devices, as well as the systems that support them.
• Uncover customer needs and motivations that lead to innovative product ideas
through a variety of audience research methods: in-person interviews, direct
observation, remote usability testing, surveys and responding to customer support
• Promote features that demonstrate a great chance of success and discard bad,
mediocre or merely good product ideas before they are built.
• Build audience and revenue through successful product development and
• Collaboratively define product vision for WABE in partnership with the digital team,
senior stakeholders, and other departments.
Broadcast Engineering & Operations
• Manage, design, operate and maintain TV and radio transmitting facilities, assuring
safe and compliant operations.
• Manage broadcast and office IT systems and policies.
• Have the requisite skills to manage and perform analysis and maintain high-power RF
Compile and systems, microwave systems, computer network systems, and remote
• Be able to manage digital editing systems, field acquisition systems and support
• Apply industry standards and practices; interpret and implement FCC rules and
• Organize and manage complex technical projects to build or maintain broadcast
• Make required FCC filings and maintains appropriate records.
• Support WABE compliance efforts with FCC, CPB, NPR, NAB, and PBS rules and
Business Enterprise & Data Analytics
• Be able to codify and implement technical policies and procedures for the
company, assuring an efficient environment for the station.
• Assess organizational workflows and how technology can create help with
innovative thinking, collaborative efforts and developing efficiencies.
• Provide oversight for planning, developing, and managing complex real time
computer systems and networks.
• Oversee evaluation of IT systems, including database maintenance.
• As part of a team, does contingency planning necessary to keep systems online in
• Develop process for gathering business critical data and synthesizing data into
reports designed to provide insights that promote effective business decisions.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science and/or related technical degree, plus
exceptional commensurate experience.
Experience working with engineering teams through agile software development and
Deep understanding of the digital user experience, incl. user behavior and personalization.
Experience with web and application development, especially native mobile, agile/scrum
methodologies, test driven development, mobile and web measurement processes and
Experience with wireframing, rapid prototyping and iterative design process.
Experience and applicable experience in SEO and SEM, and working with consumer-facing
Experienced in the use of bug reporting and project management software (Asana, Jira,
Demonstrated skill and successful experience in organizational change and transition
management, including creating efficiencies, and implementing new and emerging
technologies, including new/revised work processes.
Must be in touch with the latest developments in technology and how to strategically
Demonstrated emotional intelligence: empathy, trust, integrity and social sensitivity.
Demonstrated experience leading a diverse team to support organizational goals,
managing complex projects, budgets, setting and accomplishing goals while managing
Excellent communication skills and negotiation skills.
Sharp assessment skills with an ability for ruthless prioritization and triage.
Strong ability to create clarity from ambiguity.
Comfort with and bias towards frequent and deep user research, both qualitative and
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Experience in Television and Radio Production and broadcast processes in a medium or
large television market highly desired with a strong understanding of the technology
necessary to support a growing digital presence.
Deep understanding and background of on-demand audio platforms and channels such
as podcasting, digital radio, and smart speaker skill.
Strong experience with content management systems (CMS), preferably for enterprise-level
Proficient in both basic design tools & process as well as basic web development skills
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Required to move
about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time Frequent use of hands
for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping May require walking primarily on a level surface
for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or
lifting as required (up to 10 lbs.), filing documents, recording equipment, laptop, or store
materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient
room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office
environment. Moderate noise level consistent with dealing with technical equipment at a
For consideration, submit cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
AETC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.