Chief Financial Officer
The CFO will be a key strategic partner to the CEO and the board of directors in setting a course for transformative growth and continued financial stability for WABE. The position is part of senior leadership team and has responsibility for helping to plan, develop and implement and track WABE’s strategic goals and objectives. In addition to vital financial management and oversight, the CFO will seek out and explore evolutionary business models for public media, content creation and non-profit news to create scenarios for transformative growth for WABE to better serve the metro Atlanta region with multi-media content and community programs. This can include developing and analyzing models for partnerships, new lines of business, analyzing lines of business and new opportunities and hurdle rates for investments. The CFO will also play a key role in operational decisions around staffing, real estate, infrastructure and digital transformation. Further, the CFO will oversee and direct the fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate for nonprofits and the public broadcasting industry. In addition, the CFO oversees WABE’s compliance with industry requirements established by the Federal Communications Commission and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- Serves as a key member of the senior leadership team within WABE and participates in the development of WABE’s overall plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Meets regularly with President/CEO to review strategic plan, approaches to transformation, portfolio, revenue acceleration, financial status, outlook, and forecasting.
- Leads the establishment of financial goals and financial policies and procedures for the organization, and leads efforts to ensure goals are met and policies and procedures are followed.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the organization’s financial functions and performance.
- Presents timely and accurate analyses of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the President/CEO, the Board of Directors, and other organization leadership in performing their responsibilities.
- Strengthens systems and processes that will improve the operation and effectiveness of the Finance Department and the organization overall.
- Improves financial management continually through education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Develops effective solutions to business challenges.
- Provides strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization.
- Provides financial advice and guidance related to contractual agreements under consideration by the organization. Develops strong banking relationships and initiates strategies to enhance cash position
- Develops an effective cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism for confirming coverage of expenditure requirements.
- Leads the Finance Department structure determining approaches for continual improvements related to efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations. Provides staff with opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- Provides staff leadership to the Board of Director’s Finance and Audit Committees made up of Board Members and financial professionals who serve as and provide a knowledge resource for building a robust financial operation.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
An experienced leader with an appetite for transformation who has demonstrated sound quantitative skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong strategic and operational thinking. A decisive individual who possesses a “big picture” perspective and is confident in debating and exploring options and plotting a course forward as a partner with the CEO. An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts. A well organized and self-directed individual who is “politically savvy” and a team player. An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex financial documents. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints of a sensitive nature. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to the Board of Directors and outside parties. Computer literate, internet savvy, proficiency in MS Office
Master’s degree (MA) or equivalent; ten to fifteen years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA a plus.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted.
For consideration, submit cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.