Join the award-winning WABE newsroom as the Business Reporter/Host.
This position will report on some of the biggest companies in the world based in the Atlanta area. It will also detail how technology in our area is growing and impacting so many aspects of our daily life. The right person will be able to show how the business community affects regular people and be able to take complex business terms and principles and make them easily accessible for our audience. Experience using sound to tell powerful stories is desired. Ability to quickly and accurately write digital stories in coordination with audio stories also desired.
This person will also help redevelop and host WABE Tech Cast (in coordination with the Chief Content Officer, Managing Editor, and Podcast Producer). The WABE Tech Cast is a podcast about how Atlanta is shaping technology and how technology is shaping Atlanta. Experience or a desire to fill-in host on Morning Edition or All Things Considered preferred.
This position will also have opportunities to report and/or host for television as WABE continues to develop original programming for that platform.
WABE’s newsroom is a flexible, hybrid work environment. However, this position will be based in Atlanta.
- Writing quickly and accurately on deadline for radio, digital and social about complex issues for daily newscasts (when appropriate) and other platforms.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting.
- Experience collaborating or willingness to collaborate with national outlets on projects
- Serves on behalf of the station at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Editors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Journalism or Communications Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years of experience working in digital or broadcast journalism.
- Impeccable news judgment and ethics.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common
- Experience with audio production tools, photography and social media.
- Work with team for on-air pledge drives as directed.
- Digital reporting/writing experience preferred.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Will require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 10 lbs.), filing documents, climbing, storing equipment, and working around high voltage equipment. Proper lifting techniques required. Working in spaces/rooms with various temperatures and lighting, confined spaces, and broadcast equipment as found in a typical technical broadcast environment in addition to working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and temperatures.
For consideration, submit cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com