Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: Reporter
Summary: This is a professional position primarily serving as a reporter for WABE 90.1FM. This position requires solid experience in reporting and crafting informative reports of local and state news, as well as experience in producing NPR style, in-depth, local feature stories and interviews. Hosting on-air during news programs may be required, and air shifts will vary depending on needs of the station and station management. Air shifts may include, but not be limited to weekday drive time, holidays and weekends. Some limited news related appearances on behalf of the radio and TV station may also be required.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports in the public radio style.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting and mobile/digital services, participating in mandatory on-air fundraising and performing other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Works under the direction of supervisors to research, write, and produce local spot news, features, live interviews and long-form public affairs programs.
- Covers various subjects and topics for general assignment up to and including health.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Participates in pledge drives.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or similar field from an accredited college or university.
- Proven track record in news coverage, news gathering, news writing and news anchoring/reporting.
- Experienced in developing and producing both short and long form news content, preferably for public radio.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, as well as skills in news writing, editing, interviewing, production, communication and interpersonal skills.
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Must have ability to write news scripts for local radio newscasts and feature material in NPR style.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Preferred knowledge of running an air control board and fill in as host on news shifts when needed.
- Preferred knowledge of how to set up a production studio and engineer two-way interviews.
- Must have excellent working knowledge of public radio news.
- Must participate in on-air fundraising.
- Must have excellent and proven ability to edit.
- Must be able to quickly encode and deliver high quality MPEG files.
- Must be proficient in the use and handling of audio compact flash recorders and moving recorded product into automation system.
|Decision Making||Discernment/Judgement||Project Management|
|Customer/Client Focus||Organizational Skills||Team Work Orientation|
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Submit: Resume and CD/Audio file containing air-checks and or news stories to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.