Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Radio Producer Reporter – ‘Closer Look’
WABE is Atlanta’s number one station for public radio. This is a professional position primarily serving as a producer for WABE’s award-winning, mid-day program, ‘Closer Look with Rose Scott’ (more information about the program can be found here: www.wabe.org/closerlook).
This program provides an in-depth focus to local issues and views international, national and regional through a local perspective. This position requires excellent skills in organization, verbal communication, writing, producing, editing, multitasking and time management. It will also require the individual to take part in the strategy to develop content for the program. This position will be expected to generate creative and engaging segment ideas, book guests, write scripts, research, edit audio, field produce in-depth interviews, conduct interviews, report and assure the overall accuracy of the programming. It also requires solid experience in producing an on-air program or creating NPR style, in-depth stories and interviews. As a producer reporter, you will need to work well in a team setting, but also be a self-starter who can spot engaging stories and know how to present them to a wide ranging audience. In this role, you will need to be a curious news lover who is constantly aware of the latest issues politically, socially and within the community. This position requires the ability to interact with potential guests and the community at-large on a variety of subjects.
Shifts are assigned by the senior producer and are subject to change based on needs of the program.
- Generate creative segment ideas from an international, regional and local perspective.
- Record stories on tight deadlines, and edit to completion for use on-air and online.
- Book guests, coordinate with the senior producer and hosts, and deliver compelling public radio style content.
- Attend weekly planning meetings and actively generate compelling story ideas.
- Work under the direction of the supervisor to research, book and produce daily news segments for the program.
- This role will require a combination of in-studio production, interviewing, coverage of special news events as directed, and working with technical equipment related to broadcasting.
- In-the field reporting, which could include, but is not limited to collecting audio, conducting interviews, or producing segments for hosts.
- Maintain studio and greenroom in preparation for daily broadcast, and manages supplies for guests.
- May serve on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and/or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums, and participates in mandatory on-air fundraising.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Producer and Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- Four (4) year college degree desirable or equivalent experience in the field of journalistic reporting and digital media production.
- At least three years of detail oriented, fast paced work newsroom reporting experience.
- Previous experience in a public radio environment highly desirable.
- Must be able to work with collaboratively with a team under tight deadlines and juggle multiple duties and projects.
- Technical experience and good working knowledge of current broadcast recording and production equipment, NPR reporting and audio standards and studio and remote production interview set-up.
- Previous experience in a producer role that required booking guests, and daily deadlines.
- Skilled writing that meets all standard writing guidelines and that is both technically sound as well as compelling.
- Previous experience conducting interviews.
- Must be able to quickly make judgments and know how to analyze what is newsworthy.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent and proven ability to edit in the multi-track mode of Adobe Audition or similar audio editing software.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to fundraising activities as directed by management.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are essential in this position.
- High-level writing skills that meet the AP style guidelines as well as audio editing skills.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.