WABE is seeking a candidate to manage the department’s programming and traffic functions. This position is responsible for daily operations of programming and traffic including creating all broadcast logs for all TV channels ensuring proper placement of all underwriters, promotional, marketing, and other on-air elements while maintaining standard operating procedures and meeting all established deadlines.
- Incorporate best practices regarding confidentiality into all job duties and communications in accordance with WABE policies and procedures and other applicable regulations.
- Develop and execute the TV programming strategy in collaboration with membership, marketing, production, and underwriting teams.
- Make decisions regarding the type and schedule of television programming to support station mission objectives and create a programming schedule accordingly.
- Communicate with Account Executives regarding underwriting, copy, and possible discrepancies.
- Provide guidance regarding any issues that arise and, when necessary, aid regarding workload and prioritization of responsibilities.
- Transferring the log files to an outsource Master Control Facility. Verifying delivery.
- Ensure the accuracy of digital guides and programming schedules on cable and satellite channels.
- In conjunction with Engineering and Production personnel, guide any emergency situations in master control as needed.
- Review television programming via monthly meetings.
- Collaborate with membership personnel to make programming decisions during television membership drives.
- Daily reconciliation by way of re-adding actual play-back time. Working with programming, master control, and other staff to ensure daily, monthly, or quarterly changes are reflected in traffic databases and printed program logs.
- Stay current with emerging technologies and software systems relevant to the programming traffic department.
- As scheduled, assist with various station fundraising events, studio productions, and post-production projects.
- Manage the operation and use of all software and servers (ProTrack etc.) and recommend maintenance, upgrades, and changes to Engineering and IT.
- Schedule weekly, daily, and monthly promos, plus any other interstitials needed. Download weekly/daily promos from various websites. Assist with creating and editing TV promos.
- Run various reports for tracking information and to check for accuracy.
- According to WABE guidelines, provide television programming assistance to membership events and another programming when necessary.
- Occasionally be the backup for team members working on TV, Radio & Digital programming, and underwriting.
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Associate degree in a related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in a television/radio broadcasting environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and emergency situations.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule, including some nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Ability to learn, master, and work with trafficking, programming, and automation software.
- Knowledge of digital underwriting
- Passion for public broadcasting and mission-driven content.
- Diligence and dedication.
- Ability to achieve constructive problem-solving.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Must display the ability to handle stressful situations.
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree and/or coursework in a TV or related field.
- Two years of experience in a television/radio/digital programming environment.
- Use of ProTrack desired
- Knowledge of programming/traffic and automation software such as ProTrack, Allegiance, Enco etc.
- Prior supervisory experience.
The physical demands and work environment described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. It may require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist, or lifting as required (up to 15 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques are required. Mostly, ambient room temperatures, lighting, and traditional office equipment are found in a typical office environment.
To apply for this job please visit wabe.clearcompany.com.