FOX 5 Atlanta’s internship program is a unique opportunity to explore the broadcast industry and to enhance the educational experience with practical applications. Individuals have the opportunity to learn from trained professionals in various departments.
This program is designed for students who want to learn how a news station works. We are seeking the next generation of “news gatherers.” We are looking for out-of-the-box scholars for digital, as well as over the air broadcasting techniques. Students must be able to receive college credit for internships in order to be eligible for the program. Internships are only available to college junior or senior students.
How to apply for the FOX 5 Atlanta Internship Program:
- Submit an official letter from an accredited college or university confirming that s/he will receive course credit if selected for our internship program
- Cover letter
- Essay in 250 words or less answering the following questions:
- Which department are you interested in obtaining an internship? Why?
- What duties do you expect to perform in your internship? What do you expect to learn?
- Why should you be selected for the FOX 5 Atlanta Internship Program?
INTERNSHIPS ARE OFFERED IN THE FOLLOWING DEPARTMENTS:
NEWS: Students will get the opportunity to see how a newscast is created for broadcast. With that in mind, all interested applicants should have a thorough knowledge of current events. The intern will work a schedule that will allow them to observe in-house and field roles, including, but not limited to, assignment desk, general assignment reporter, writer/producer and digital content.
SALES: Sales/Research personnel will explain what rating points are and how they are important to a television station. The intern will shadow FOX 5 Account Executives to learn the difference between direct and agency accounts, and the different sales approach for each. The intern will go out on sales calls with account executives to learn proper business procedures as well as business etiquette. The intern will attend commercial shoots and edits and ultimately observe the many steps it takes to get a spot on the air.
HUMAN RESOURCES: The Regional Human Resources Business Partner will mentor the Human Resources Intern. The intern will gain knowledge in a range of projects related to recruiting, onboarding/orientation, file maintenance, compliance and our academic credit only intern program. This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. In this internship, the student will learn how to take skills s/he may have acquired related to their particular areas of interest, and apply them in a professional setting. S/he will gain a better understanding of various Human Resources disciplines. The candidate will also have opportunities to network within the station’s other departments.
The Human Resources Intern will learn the practical application of:
- Steps in the recruiting and hiring process, including: writing job descriptions, posting job openings, reviewing resumes, conducting telephone, virtual and in-person interviews, making job offers and negotiating starting salaries.
- The importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management.
- Administrative/clerical duties including learning how to set up an employee file and maintenance, organizing employee initiatives and day-to-day administrative/clerical requirements using MS Word and Excel.
- Current enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in Human Resources (must be able to receive academic credit for internship)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and internet applications
Interns must be customer service oriented, highly confidential, and possess solid verbal, written, organizational, multi-tasking skills, and high level of attention to details.
Applicants must meet the following deadlines for applying:
Summer March 1
Spring November 1
Please send application materials to:
Attn: HR/Internship Program
1551 Briarcliff Road, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30306
To apply for this job please visit www.fox5atlanta.com.