Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational
Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service PBA is comprised of
WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast
service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
Job Title: Director of Technical Operations
The Director of Technical Operations for PBA will be an innovative, creative, collaborative and
technically driven professional who is responsible for strategizing technology systems that are used
across media platforms (TV, Radio, Digital) and the organization. This position will oversee the daily
technical operations, while strategically keeping the organization at the forefront of technological
trends. The role includes advising, implementing, managing, budgeting and being hands on. Also
includes successfully navigating technologies and forward planning to identify necessary equipment
replacements and up-grades. The position will also oversee the areas responsible for the
maintenance and installation technical equipment. This position will work closely and
collaboratively throughout the organization and with external partners.
Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
• Sets and establishes high quality technical standards and priorities that are aligned with
business goals, mission and vision.
• Staff and project management, mentoring and training.
• Prepares budget for fiscal year, for projects and equipment/system purchases.
• Works with Senior Leadership team to inform and provide advice on technological needs of
the organization, new technology capabilities, objectives and solutions.
• Develops technology strategies and planning for short and long-term.
• Oversee technical department and their maintenance, diagnosis, repairs along with the
testing and installing new equipment.
• Analyzing and repairing technical faults on equipment and systems.
• Interpreting and implementing instructions and requests from producers, directors and
other colleagues or external partners.
• Communicating effectively with members of the team and other colleagues.
• Keeping up to date with the industry and changes in technology by building and maintaining
a network of contacts and investigating new systems and techniques.
• Ensures that there’s a first call response process for broadcast, on-air and information
technology emergencies ensuring all incidents and service requests are properly resolved
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience, including education, training and
experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position (such
as IT and technical broadcast experience).
• Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in electrical engineering, computer sciences or a related
• Strong supervisory and management experience.
• Ability to effectively manage complex projects and large budgets.
• Excellent oral, written communication skills, along with exceptional organization and time
• Creative, collaborative and innovative professional with can do attitude that translate ideas
• Ability to explain/describe complex technical terms and projects in easy-to-understand
terms to non-technical personnel.
• Familiarity working in IP including local area networking, file handling, and protocol
management as it relates to the broadcast environment.
Requirements: Strong presenting skills, detail oriented and must possess excellent verbal and
interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to
achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to operate with flexibility, remain calm
under pressure, be proactive and be results oriented. Must be able to work independently as well
as in a team environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Will require walking
primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights,
below the waist or lifting as required (up to 25 lbs.), filing documents, climbing, storing equipment and
working around high voltage equipment. Proper lifting techniques required. Working in spaces/rooms
with various temperatures and lighting, confined spaces, and broadcast equipment as found in a typical
technical broadcast environment in addition to working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.