OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox TV Stations
FOX Television Stations owns and operates 29 full power broadcast television stations in the U.S. These include stations located in 14 of the top 15 largest designated market areas, or DMAs, and duopolies in 11 DMAs, including the three largest DMAs (New York, Los Angeles and Chicago). Of these stations, 18 are affiliated with the FOX Network. In addition to distributing sports, entertainment and syndicated content, our television stations collectively produce approximately 1,200 hours of local news every week. These stations leverage viewer, distributor and advertiser demand for the FOX Network’s national content.
Fox 5 Atlanta seeks a highly motivated, organized candidate for Director of Engineering. The ideal candidate desires to learn and evaluate new technologies, systems, and workflows and knows how to effectively communicate information gleaned to others operating at any level of technical expertise. They will need to possess the ability to prioritize deadlines, juggle multiple objectives, and quickly pivot in response to the ever-changing demands of a fast-paced live news environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and mentor a team of 5 engineers, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement. Develop career growth opportunities for team members and ensure optimal performance
- Oversee the successful execution of engineering projects, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality standards. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align engineering initiatives with business objectives
- Assist the VP of Engineering and Operations in the planning and design of station and remote broadcast systems
- Participate in the development and execution of the station’s technology roadmap, identifying emerging technologies and trends to enhance product offerings and maintain a competitive edge
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, innovations, and best practices. Lead research and development efforts to explore new technologies, evaluate feasibility, and recommend implementation strategies
- Identify and mitigate technical risks, ensuring the security and integrity of systems, data, and infrastructure. Assist the VP of Engineering and Operations in developing business continuity plans and response strategies for potential disruptions
- Ensure compliance with FCC and other regulatory standards and industry best practices
- Create and maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation, ensuring comprehensive and accessible records of processes, procedures, and project specifications
- Collaborate with the VP of Engineering and Operations to develop strategic capital plans and departmental expense budgets, ensuring effective financial planning and resource allocation
- Proven track record of successfully leading and managing teams in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Understanding of and commitment to the requirements of a 24/7/365 live news operation and willingness to work a flexible schedule to include nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call
- Demonstrable technical knowledge and expertise in broadcast-related technologies including but not limited to RF and terrestrial transmission systems, IP networking, information security, virtual computing platforms, digital video and audio technology, and new-and-developing technologies such as SMPTE 2110, AoIP, cloud production, and ATSC 3.0
- Comprehensive understanding of broadcast production workflows in either radio or television, including operational familiarity with multiple NRCS, NLE, production and playout automation systems, and computer-generated graphics platforms
- Understanding of connected TV (CTV) and over-the-top (OTT) platforms from both the broadcaster and consumer perspectives
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to anticipate challenges and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders and present complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Experience in driving innovation and implementing new technologies
- Project management experience, including budgeting, resource allocation, and risk management
- Familiarity with industry standards, regulations, and compliance requirements
- Must be a licensed driver in good standing
- Ability to travel to remote broadcast sites, as needed
Five years of progressive experience in broadcast technology, with at least 3 years in a leadership role. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in broadcasting, electronics, computer science, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. SBE and IT certifications considered a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit fox.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.