Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
Job Title: Broadcast Engineer (TV)
The engineering position maintains and installs equipment at the studio and transmitter facility, provides broadcast engineering support for all production operations and provides assistance and training to operators. This position will perform duties including maintenance of master control and production automation systems, ingest and playback servers, routing systems, satellite distribution, microwave systems, networking equipment, server hardware, and other various facility needs as assigned. The position will also provide timely and professional support for a broadcast television environment. The ideal candidate will also have strong working knowledge of all components related to the transmission system, including electrical, cooling systems, encoders, exciters, antennas, and other related RF equipment.
Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Operate, install and maintain a wide range of video and audio equipment used for broadcasting and production in a modern cross-platform digital media organization.
- System level troubleshooting of technical facilities. This includes, but is not limited to: control rooms, edit bays and all equipment related to studio and field production.
- Repair equipment as assigned and assist others with troubleshooting and repairs when necessary.
- Apply extensive knowledge of Adobe Premiere and Avid edit bays when troubleshooting systems or assisting editors.
- Learn new production technologies and apply them to stay ahead of the curve.
- Coordinate and collaborate with production, traffic, engineering and management staff.
- Oversee maintenance, diagnosis and repair at transmitter and studio sites.
- Analyzing and repairing technical faults on equipment and systems.
- Setting up and operating equipment and transmission links during remote broadcasts.
- Designing and installing custom circuits, hardware and systems.
- Communicating effectively with members of the team and other colleagues.
- Keeping up to date with the industry and changes in technology by building and maintaining a network of contacts and investigating new systems and techniques.
- Provides first call response for broadcast and on-air emergencies, ensuring all incidents and service requests are properly resolved, documented and classified.
- This position will provide assistance in maintaining the broadcast technical infrastructure and provide labor for project execution and installation.
- Ongoing maintenance, configuring and updating of all broadcasting systems and equipment.
- Insure compliance with all FCC regulations and is the Chief Operator.
- Provide engineering support for live productions and post production workflows.
- Available for 24 hour on call and performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A bachelor degree in technical and/or electronics preferred; equivalent education/military/experience/training is acceptable and 3 years hands-on broadcast engineering experience.
Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience repairing and maintaining transmitters and their related components. Must have a strong background in information technology and knowledge of IP networking, computer and software maintenance. Previous experience with automation systems, production switchers, Ross & ITX graphics systems, routers, Must have knowledge of FCC rules and regulations. Willingness and ability to work varied schedules and on an on-call basis. Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, work efficiently, and meet deadlines. Understanding of the requirements of a 24/7/365 broadcast operation.
Understanding of FCC rules and regulations are essential for this position. Knowledge of RF/Microwave/Satellite/Transmission. Knowledge of the use of AutoCAD or like program is a plus, but not required. An SBE certification is a plus, but not required. Assist master control in daily operations and adherence to EAS standards and practices. Experience with maintaining existing systems and equipment, including both TV an FM transmission equipment, STL and Satellite reception equipment, while planning and designing new systems, equipment, etc.
Requirements: Strong presenting skills, detail oriented and must possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to operate with flexibility, remain calm under pressure, be proactive and be results oriented. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Will require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 50 lbs.), filing documents, climbing, storing equipment and working around high voltage equipment. Proper lifting techniques required. Working in spaces/rooms with various temperatures and lighting, confined spaces, and broadcast equipment as found in a typical technical broadcast environment in addition to working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and temperatures.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com